Intensive use of fossil-based energy sources causes significant environmental problems on a global scale. Researchers have been working for several decades to find alternative energy solutions to fossil fuels. Algae are a renewable energy source, with high potential for increasing scarce resources and reducing environmental problems caused by fossil fuel use.
Algal Biotechnology for Fuel Applications gives the reader a comprehensive picture of the industrial use of algae for generating power. This book informs readers about the existence of alternative species to the currently used algae species for biofuel production, while also explaining the methods and current concepts in sustainable biofuel production.
- Fifteen chapters covering topics on commercial algae species and algal biofuel production.
- Covers anaerobic biotechnology and basic biofuel production from thermal liquefaction
- Covers biodiesel production and algal biofuel characterization
- Introduces the reader to applied microbial fuel cell technology and algae cultivation methods
- Provides concepts about ecological engineering
- Covers microalgae culture and biofuel production techniques
- Explains the importance of catalysts
- Explains the economic evaluation of algae fuel production technology
This reference is essential reading for students and academics involved in environmental science, biotechnology, chemical engineering and sustainability education programs. It also serves as a reference for general readers who want to understand the ins and outs of algal biofuel technology.
Students and academics involved in environmental science, biotechnology, chemical engineering and sustainability education programs; general readers who want to learn about algal biofuel technology.